This website is currently the only backend website for econjobmarket.org. It is sponsored by the department of economics at the University of British Columbia which currently hosts a mirror of the econjobmarket database.
The purpose of a backend website it to provide authorized users at econjobmarket with direct access to their organization's job market data. An authorized user is anyone who has a manager account at econjobmarket.org. To log in to this website go to https://backend.econjobmarket.org/user and give the username and password for a manager account at econjobmarket.org. You username and password will be verified with econjobmarket. If the verification works, an account will be created for you on this website. If you are worried about providing your account credentials at econjobmarket.org (sensible - this isn't the main econjobmarket.org server), you can check the ssl certificate for this page (use https to load this page, then click the lock button in the url bar on firefox). If you are still unsure, you can check the information on the Econjobmarket Information Page and contact Mike Peters at peters at econ dot ubc dot ca.
The service here is (always) under development with services being added as time permits.
Once you login you will be able to
- Set or change the machine account username and password for your database. The machine account username or password must be a valid econjobmarket username and password with manager privileges.
- Browse the data for your organization;
- Acquire php software that will allow you to transfer your data to a directory on your own computer as a collection of files and web pages, or transfer your data to a mysql database on your own computer;
- Make SOAP requests (using whatever SOAP client you prefer) that will retrieve various pieces of information about your data over https;
- Create an ssl tunnel to a mysql database containing a 'view' of your organization's data which you can query directly on your own computer;
- Download a Drupal 6 module, along with transfer scripts, that will allow you not only to view your data on your own website, but also to evaluate it.
You can browse the documentation on the left menu bar to see how the various services work (whether you are logged in or not).
The setup step you need to carry out before you can see the data described above, is to provide a machine account username and password for your database. This can be your own username and password at econjobmarket.org, or any username-password pair for a manager at econjobmarket. The recommended method is to create a special manager account at econjobmarket to act as your machine account. This way, the account can be left unchanged as your recruiting committee changes from year to year.
If you don't have a recruiter account at Econjobmarket, you will not be able to access any data here. To apply for a recruiter account at ejm go to the econjobmarket website.